August 6, 2009
Sometimes you need to convert an audio file from one format to another one, for example you have an AAC file in iTunes that’s not compatible with your MP3 player that can play MP3 and not AAC files.
There are many ways to convert files from one format to another, one of the easiest is Apple’s iTunes.
You can download iTunes for Mac or PC for free at http://www.apple.com/itunes/download
Steps to Convert Files to Different Formats Within iTunes
Note: These instructions are for iTunes version 9.
- Open iTunes.
- Open the preferences window (on PC from Edit menu, choose Preferences and on Mac from the iTunes menu, choose Preferences).
- On the General Tab click Import Settings.
- Select the file format you would like to convert to from the dropdown list next to Import Using.iTunes is capable of converting to/from several formats including: AAC, AIFF, Apple Lossless, MP3 and WAV.You can choose your desired audio quality from the Setting dropdown list. Click OK to close the Import Settings Window. Click OK again to close the Preferences Window.
- Select the track you would like to convert from your library. From the Advanced menu, choose Create MP3 version (or right-click on the selected track to bring up a contextual menu then Select Create MP3 Version) to convert the audio file.
- When iTunes completes converting your file you will hear a beep sound. You should have 2 versions of the track you converted, the one with the most recent date is your converted file.